Home Assistant Installation Methods

Home Assistant Installation Methods

Name Required Skills Includes Supervisor Supports Add-ons Supports Snapshots Includes Operating System Uses Docker Method
OS Minimal (1) :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: Disk image (2)
Supervised Linux, Docker :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :x: :heavy_check_mark: Shell script (3)
Container Linux, Docker :x: :x: :x: :x: :heavy_check_mark: Docker container (4)
Core Linux :x: :x: :x: :x: :x: Python app (5)
Note Description
1 Ability to follow instructions to burn an SD card.
2 Burn disk image, for your model of single-board computer, to SD card or as a Virtual Machine.
3 Execute shell script on an existing instance of Debian linux on a dedicated machine.
4 Install docker container in an existing docker environment.
5 Install python app, preferably in a virtual python environment.
51 Likes

That is one of the clearest explanation of the various set ups I have seen, it has removed a lot of confusion for me. I am now clear I have the supervised system, that is or was, destined to be deprecated. since I really like my set up I guess I will have to change to OS to keep future updates etc. Am I correct in my simple summary?

Supervised will not be deprecated.

1 Like

If you have Supervised installed on Debian, that is the only distro of Linux that is officially supported according to ADR-0014.

If you have Supervised installed on some other distro, such as Ubuntu (like I do), then it is not officially supported. What does that mean? It means you will continue to be able to upgrade to new versions of Home Assistant and everything will work, until it doesn’t. When that happens (if ever), you will turn to the community for help because there will likely be other people who are running Supervised on Ubuntu.

If you run Supervised on some obscure distro, if something goes sideways you may have trouble getting community support. For the best support, it’s advisable to select the officially supported distro, namely Debian (as mentioned in the footnotes above).

1 Like

Thank you, Your documentation is always spot-on, clean & concise.

Thank you for the replies, I DO have the supervised version running on Ubuntu 18.04.2. So, I guess I ought to look at a move to OS. I have 4 machines running HA so an experimental move should not be too much of an issue.

The only bit I don’t like is that you have said that Required Skills for OS is “Novice”
This implies that “All you dumb newbies, please start over there”
(I know that’s not what you mean but a lot of people could interpret it that way)
Also, as most of the Devs seem to be running OS over Odroid ??? Then it’s also a bit inaccurate.
Why not just put “None” or “Suitable for Everyone” ?
Sorry to be picking holes, but it’s with ‘the aim to improveand I was the first to endorse this table when it first came up :smiley:

Why?

It’s like you didn’t even read the post by 123 that was two above yours…

Your install should be perfectly fine for a long time (probably…) and if you ever (if you ever do…) run into problems you can (likely…) get support here on the forums.

I like that better, too.

Or maybe to be more precise “Minimal”.

1 Like

That column represents the minimum IT skills required to perform the installation. It doesn’t represent the suggested audience for a given method. Someone who is familiar with managing Linux and Docker is free to choose any of the four installation methods.

In contrast, someone who is not comfortable with Linux and Docker will have a challenging, potentially frustrating, experience with Supervised, Container, and Core. Even if they muddle their way through the installation, they will still be challenged by maintaining Linux.

“None” would be misleading. You need some IT skills to install Home Assistant OS (certainly more than for installing a consumer-level product like Philips Hue Bridge).

3 Likes

I know you know that, and I know it too but it’s what you can imagine, some people ‘perceive’ when they land on the page. It takes a special mind set I’ll grant you but I know for a fact that you have encountered many such with the required attitude.
I’m just trying to head off the ‘negative vibes’ thing

I’m open to suggestions that concisely describe the following prerequisites:

• Ability to download and install balenaEtcher.
  • Download disk-image file for the chosen SBC.
  • Use balenaEtcher to write disk-image to microSD card.

It’s not a task the average computer user performs but it’s not much of a stretch from basic computer skills:

• Follow instructions.
  • Download files.
  • Install app.
  • Use app.

It terms of required skills it’s not “None” but a minimal set known by any competent person who uses a computer/phone/tablet.

I think that is too many words. I would have stopped at ‘Ability to follow instructions.’

I’m not sure if I like ‘novice’ either but that’s not what I posted to say :wink:

Right. That’s why I suggested “Minimal” above.

Thanks, that gave me a chuckle. Perhaps it can be reduced to “Can read.”
/s

I’m fine with that. I’m waiting a few more ticks before changing it, just in case someone else suggests the perfect word to summarize the requisite skills.

Yeah, let this stew for a while … and then … open a Poll !

:rofl:

2 Likes

I fully read the post and understood it. My other remarks were on a personal basis of an option I am free to try. I undoubtedly will keep at least one machine on the present Supervised set up. I would also like to have system that the devs consider main stream.
Based on reading further posts I would have no difficulty downloading and installing an image for OS.

I’m late to the party regarding seeing this post. It’s a great table and should be part of the official docs

Fantastisk overview, should definitely be among the official documentation. Can anyone explain why one would choose Supervised (like I currently have on Ubuntu) over OS in a general matter?

And for my specific case, I don’t use the computer and don’t need to use the computer to anything other than Home Assistant. I don’t know how to utilise Docker and need to Google every step involving Ubuntu and Docker.

The best reason to choose supervised over OS is if your hardware doesn’t have a prebuilt OS image for it (like the mac mini I run on). Some other reasons I have are that I want to run RAID disks and none of the recommended hardware has 2 drive bays and I wouldn’t be sure that HassOS would support it. Also I have one component that needs access to the system to receive messages from systemd. I’m not sure this would work under hassos… There are many more reasons but those are the ones off the top of my head.

I don’t quite understand what you mean with prebuilt OS image? I thought it was as simple as download the image and use BalenaE to burn the image on the SSD? Or what am I not getting?